Thread: DIY: how to remove the front seats of a coupe.

DIY: how to remove the front seats of a coupe.

hey so today i wanted to take out the seats of my 07 coupe to clean under them and to run an aux wire to the back seat cubby so my friends can plug in their ipods without having to be upfront. i couldnt find any directions online so i figured i would take some pictures and put it up on here.

start by choosing a seat ( i chose the drivers side) and make it go back as far as it can. then pop the plastic caps off at the end of the chairs railing and underneath it will be a 9/16th screw that you will need a ratchet to remove. the blue dots show you where the screws are

then move the seat as up as possible towards the wheel to get to the rear screws. pop off the plastic coverings at the end of the railings again and remove the screws again (same size same method)

now do this to the opposite side of the car (passenger side for me) and do the same steps. i didnt take pictures because its exactly the same thing to do its very obvious.

after you unscrew both seats completely you will realize that its still connected to the wire harness which isnt all that long of a wire.

Warning failure to do this step can lead the airbags to deploy from the seats so disconnect the negative side of the battery

now you can safely continue to removing the wires. you will notice that they are also connected to yellow clips that clip onto the springs of the seat. you will need to remove these too. i used a knife to help me pop out the wire clips and i used the same knife to help hold down 1 side of the pins on the yellow clips to remove the clips from the seat. you can see in these pictures where the wires are and the clip will be connected to it by a zip tie. the blue circles are where the wires are connected, the red are where the yellow clips that you will need to pop out are, and the green one is for where the dull yellow wire is, it has a little grey pin attached to a zip tie and i just pulled that out while squeezing the other side with my fingers. this will be the same method for both sides, yet again its obvious so i didnt take pictures of both sides.

now pull the seats out. tuck them in as if someone is getting in the back and pull them out of the car carefully and remember it has metal legs that can lead to scratching so be very carefull. i would recommend taping the ends of the rails so that you can reduce any possible chances of scratching.

drivers side:

passenger side:

now this is how i ran the aux wire. i followed the steps to instal the ipod adapter back when i first installed it, and now i decided to run a second wire to the back so i opened up the dash again to get to the unit.I then ran the wire under the middle dash on the passenger side. i then had it pop out from under the panel on the side of the passenger seat near the center cubby and cut the carpet near the back leg a bit so that i can fit the wire in to run it under the carpet to the back seat. this can be seen also from the picture above of the passenger side. here is a closeup of where the wire goes under the carpet.

then pull up the back seat cubby by pulling up near the cup holders. it is attached by 2 plastic clips so be careful.

take the middle cubby and flip it upside down. near the cup holder drill a hole big enough for the wire to squeeze into that way it looks clean rather than messy and too big. i went for the back corner where no one can see.

and there you go, its that easy to clean your whole carpet, get a dropped cellphone or w.e, and run an aux wire so that your friends can put on their own shit. any questions post it here or msg me.

IF YOUR AIRBAG LIGHT GOES OFF FOLLOW THIS:

Ignition Key Method:

1) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
    2) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
    3) Wait 4 seconds
    4) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
    5) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
    6) Wait 4 seconds
    7) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
    8) After the AIR BAG warning lamp lights for 7 seconds, turn IGNITION off within 1 second.
    9) Wait 4 seconds
    10) Turn IGNITION on (but don't start car)
    11) Wait 3 seconds
    12) Turn IGNITION off
    13) Wait 2 seconds
    14) START Car (the light may be blinking slower than before)
    15) Wait 3 seconds
    16) Turn IGNITION off
    17) Wait 3 seconds
    18) START Car

IF THIS FAILS TRY THIS EASIER METHOD:

To reset the light simply turn the iginition to the on position, (you dont need to start it). All the lights should stay on for thier diagnostic check. As soon as the airbag light goes off, before it starts flashing, immeditatly turn the car off. Repeat this 3 or 4 times (turning to on then off) and the light should go away
    Last edited by brad73; 10-22-2009 at 02:14 AM.

Great DIY. Thanks. I know a lot of people would reference this.

Cool. Very detailed DIY.

very nice and detailed diy.

thanks, i figured this could come in handy for everyone doing interior mods, im not too sure on the whole battery thing but it made sense to me to disconnect it and i wouldn't recommend not unplugging it just for safety. im not reliable if your air bag deploys because mine didnt when i followed these steps.

Very nice writeup......The only other thing I can think of is I think the service manual said 3 minutes after disconnecting the battery before disconnecting the harnesses.

Excellent write up bro. I will refer to this in the future to vacuum the crap underneath my seats LOL... Mods STICKY THIS!

hell yea yo everything ends up there and people wonder why their car smells. its called going ape shit if you want it mint always.

Edit: i didnt know the manual talked about the seat removal, never touched it to begin with. if that statement is true then ill add it to the DIY but i honestly had no issue.
    Last edited by brad73; 10-21-2009 at 08:30 PM.

Excellent write up! I'll be using it this weekend.

Ok donno what happened but my battery died on me cuz I was sitting with it on and after it died the air bag light went on. How do I turn it off it wasn't there when I turned the car back on after putting the seats back :/

did you happen to weight what each seat is? im super curious. those suckers are at least 100lbs each!!

Nice writeup, just stickied this up!
    2013 BMW 535i ///Msport
    Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown

Quote Originally Posted by VVVVICE View Post
    Lulz i think iz a gay now

I RARELY CHECK THIS SITE ANYMORE. IF YOU NEED HELP WITH A THREAD, PLEASE PM LEV. THANKS.

yea like 100 id say, the drivers side may be like 10 20lbs more

update on how to remove the blinking airbag warning if you get it. look back at original post. i added directions.

if anybody wants ill take their seats out and clean their interior =) pm me for a price ill beat any places price.

pak1s0ul Guest
    hey are you in brooklyn?
    if so i need help swapping out the seats ecu from a g35 to another g35 i tried doing it myself couldn't do it would be nice of you if you can help me out?